Because electronic components are growing smaller and more sensitive, it is important to ensure they are protected against ESD events including static discharge. Per ANSI/ESD S20.20, “Protective packaging is required to store, transport, and protect ESDS electronic items during all phases of production.” As stated in the more recent 2018 requirements for ANSI/ESD S541, the shielding requirement was updated such that additional discharge for the bags should be less than 20 nanojoules. The Pink Poly bag is one of the more popular low charging bags. Pink Poly bags are made of a tinted polyethylene material and an antistatic coating which may wear away. This makes the bag insulative over time, making it noncompliant to ANSI/ESD S541 recommendations. The bags are also lacking discharge shielding protection which makes components in the bag susceptible to ESD event damage. Metallized Shielding bags are constructed with a metalized polyester film and a low charging polyethylene laminate. This film provides them with a shielding layer creating a Faraday cage thus protecting the ESD-sensitive components inside the bag from any ESD event damage. The low charging inner layer and outer layers of the bag prevent tribocharging from occurring, minimizing the buildup of ESD charges when handling components.
Ever been questioned about the shelf life of ESD bags by your quality manager? Maybe it is an internal quality procedure that’sbeing written and you want to know the manufacturer’s stance on the shelf life of ESD packaging. Today we will discuss the topic of ESD Static Control bag storage and how it relates to expected shelf life. There are thousands of options to consider when we discuss shelf life. Heat, storage rack conditions, transportation method, and local climate are a few, so the points to take away are this:
- Avoid extremes: heat, cold, sunlight, moisture, add controls when possible
- In a controlled environment, our ESD bags have seen 5 years of provable shelf life.
- As a best practice, follow the FIFO process for inventory control.
- ESD static bag manufacturers that we represent offers a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. You need to audit yearly or before use as a best practice and ensure that your devices are getting the best protection.
- If the bags are questionable, recycle the product at your local recycling center and order more from Restronics Northwest.